1st big parade of New Orleans since the pandemic: Krewe of Boo


Parade-loving New Orleans is about to regain its rhythm

NEW ORLEANS – Parade-loving New Orleans is about to regain its rhythm.

But the last time such a parade took place in the streets of the city was Mardi Gras 2020, which largely contributed to making the city one of the first hot spots of the coronavirus. As the extent and severity of the pandemic became apparent, parades as well as music festivals were canceled.

If the city can safely pull off the Halloween-themed Krewe of Boo parade, without the resulting increase in COVID-19 infections, it will bolster Mayor LaToya Cantrell’s tentative plans to bring back the lavish Mardi Gras processions that fill the city halls. city ​​streets during the year pre-Lent celebration.

On Friday, the mayor said unless there was a “dramatic turn for the worst of our COVID numbers” that Mardi Gras would continue next year – her strongest comments to date than the massive parades that accompanying the annual celebration would take place again.

As part of Saturday’s safety measures for Krewe of Boo, riders and members of the walking group must be vaccinated or show evidence of a negative COVID-19 test.

Additionally, health officials will conduct a study during the parade to better understand the spread of the coronavirus in large gatherings. About 40 health care workers and volunteers will be on the parade route to help people complete the survey and hand out goody bags to those who attend. In keeping with the Halloween theme, all 40 will dress up as Dr. Anthony Fauci, the White House adviser and the face of the federal pandemic response.

Krewe of Boo was dropped last year, and this year’s Mardi Gras was a low-key affair with no parades and a largely vacant French Quarter. As vaccinations became widespread and infections waned, the city began to ease restrictions that limited the capacity of restaurants or concert halls. In one of the final stages of easing the restrictions, officials announced in May that they would start accepting requests for parades and smaller parades called second-line parades.

The rise of the delta variant, which filled hospitals statewide over the summer, has called into question the viability of the parades, which largely resume once the hot summer months are over. But in September, Cantrell announced that Krewe of Boo would be allowed to parade. She attributed the work residents had done to slow the spread of the delta variant.

The city will also have tests during the parade.

“Testing, vaccines and masking are proven to stop the spread of this virus, and if we continue with these mitigation measures, we are confident that big events will be successful in the future,” said the Dr Jennifer Avegno, the city’s top health official. said in a press release.

———

Follow AP’s coverage of the pandemic at https://apnews.com/hub/coronavirus-pandemic.


Comments are closed.